Who are ISTJ?
ISTJ stands for Introversion (I), Sensing (S), Thinking (T), Judgment (J). 13 percent of the world population is considered as ISTJ Personality, making it the most common Myers–Briggs personality type. The ISTJ personality type are believed to be dependable and patient people with characterizing qualities of honesty, reasonable rationale and vigorous sense of obligation. ISTJs are fundamental center to numerous families, just as associations that maintain customs, guidelines, and principles, for example, workplace management, administrative bodies, banks and military. Individuals with the ISTJ personality type appreciate assuming liability for their actions and take pride in the work they do. They work on tasks with a purpose, direction and an objective, they devote their time and energy to finish each significant assignment with exactness and persistence.
ISTJ can’t stand incompetence and indecisiveness. Flaky and inconsistence behaviour of people annoys them most. ISTJ are practical people who can easily determine the necessary steps required to solve any problem. ISTJ simply cannot understand why people waste time talking meaningless stuff that has no logical base of usefulness in real world. Their hatred for incompetent people is exacerbated when all they hear is big talk but no practical or demonstrable action on the ground. ISTJ keep their word and expects same form others.
At first when ISTJ meets someone new, they would try to gather as much details about the person of interest. They would want to make sure that they are in control of situation and making an informed decision. To develop personal relationships, ISTJs first evaluate whether the person gels in with their long-established values and hold similar principles.
ISTJ are not known to hide the facts about their relationship or personal life. Once they are dating someone they would introduce them to their family and friends. ISTJ don’t believe in short term relationships. Once they include you in their inner-circle, you are there to stay for life.
How good are ISTJ in managing a relationship?
- As a Parent: ISTJs can become great parents for their children. They play their role as parents very faithfully. ISTJ parents believes that it is their duty to support, protect, and provide for their children. They want their children to live an honest and comfortable life and acquire a place in society. ISTJs want their children to follow and carry forward the tradition of the family. In terms of giving punishment, they see it as their duty to teach their children anything necessary. They will try to create a secure and balanced environment for their children. ISTJ parents dedicate themselves completely to make sure things run smoothly in the family.
- As a Friend: ISTJ are of reserved nature, but they can be great friends if people make an effort to know them. ISTJs do not give much importance to friendship as they give to other relationships. ISTJ have the ability to live in the moment. They like extroverts as their friends who are humble and optimistic. ISTJs crave for friends whom they can trust and share the important matters of day-to-day life. A friend who knows how to keep their promise, support their choices and is there for them no matter what.
- As a Lover: ISTJs are one of the best lovers. ISTJ are loyal and faithful lovers. They are not likely to indulge in one-night stands and meaningless relationships. ISTJ take dating seriously and look for a partner who has similar values, is reliable and ticks all the right boxes in their checklist. ISTJ are very direct and clear about the feelings they have for you. Subtleties is not ISTJ’s strong suit. Once they make the commitment to their loved one they will not abandon them. On the flip side, ISTJs do not consider their partner’s feeling and emotions as they make decisions using their dominant thinking function. They see love making as a physical necessity rather than expression of love. ISTJ natural partners are persons with either ISFP or ISTP personality type.
ISTJ Strengths and Weakness
The ISTJs are also called logisticians. This is because they prefer thinking trait over feelings and emotions, this trait can also become their strength as well as their weakness. So, let’s take a look at some of their weaknesses and strengths.
As they are one of the common personality out there. ISTJs know how to organize things, plan the details and follow through on their plans. This makes them great assets at workplaces where adherence to a work schedule is of great importance. In order to complete their tasks and keep a promise they can go to any length. The society has changed itself according to them providing them more strengths than weaknesses.
Here are some of ISTJ strengths:
- Learning new skills: ISTJ are independent hardworking people who rarely rely on others for help. They can figure out their jobs and literally choose any path in their career because of their thinking and judgment skills. ISTJ are dutiful. They focus on facts and details to learn and implement new skills required at the job efficiently.
- Practical thinking: As thinking is one of their traits, unlike INFP or INTP personality guys they are a more practical thinker and do not spend most of their time dreaming. ISTJ are famous for their practical logic and work ethics. ISTJ can research and fit the pieces of information together to solve any problem easily.
- Leadership skills: They have some good leadership skills because of their practical thinking and judgment skills. ISTJ brings structure to the group and prioritize the tasks. They can keep their feet on the ground and can become a successful leader at the same time.
- Dependability: Finishing things on their to-dos list make ISTJ happy. ISTJs often keeps a long list of chores and projects they want to accomplish. ISTJs are creatures of habit. They keep their word and get things done. You can trust ISTJ to keep things stable and run the plan smoothly. They feel happy accomplishing the tasks assigned to them without needing external stimulation from chaos and change from routine work.
- Dutiful and Responsible: They are very responsible persons. They can lose their extra sleep to become successful. They can focus on their goal while avoiding social interruptions. Once ISTJ take responsibility for something they uphold their commitment.
ISTJs worry about their loved once and want a bright future for people they deeply care about. When they are caught by surprise, things don’t go according to plan and if they fail to bring the stability, they get upset and angry.
Here are some of ISTJ weakness.
- Hindered creativity: Most of the book worms are from the ISTJ personality. ISTJ are likely to not do anything out of the box. They believe that written things, procedures, guidelines and manuals cannot be changed and are the ultimate truth which must be adhered to. ISTJ fail to see the potential possibilities and a bigger picture.
- Stubborn: ISTJs have a sense of arrogance and superiority in their personality. They see others as not good enough and don’t trust or believe anyone for important tasks but themselves. The judgemental behavior makes them look down upon others. They don’t like any new idea which is not supported by them. They think that their decision is final and cannot be altered.
- Insensitive: They can hurt other’s feelings by following the rule “Honesty is the best policy” which sometimes, can be considered rude. They are believer of truth and say what is need to be said bluntly without mincing words. ISTJ may be overly direct and believe in complete candor. ISTJ upfront nature often feel a bit tactless to others. Their intention is not to hurt other people’s feelings, but they value truth above anything else. They expect others to be completely candid and honest with them.
- Self-blame: ISTJ often blame themselves though the failure is not their fault. They take extra pressure and responsibilities to accomplish the assigned goals and because of this extra pressure, they often get depressed. Instead of relaxing and enjoying, they devote themselves to their duty. If things don’t go as planned they blame themselves without proper reason.
What are best ISTJ Career paths?
Job security and a stable working environment is important for ISTJ. While other personality types like ENFP or INTP might be OK with adaptable work as consultants, advisors and freelancing jobs, ISTJs are significantly more centred around building long haul, stable vocations. This isn’t to imply that ISTJs can’t do that kind of work, they end up contemplating what’s on the opposite side of those cubical dividers. Yet what they hunger for is constancy, and that is reflected in their decision of work maybe more so than in some other piece of their lives. ISTJ like to constantly keep themselves busy and work hard to build a good future for themselves and their family.
ISTJ value clearly defined jobs
Ideal workplace for ISTJ is the one with clearly defined job roles, management structure and written guidelines, SOPs, orders and job expectations. ISTJ do things exactly as asked and “by the book.” ISTJs hate to work in jobs where who is doing what, when and how is either not defined or frequently changes.
ISTJ are rule followers
The ISTJ employees understand the importance of rules and regulations. They not only follow the rules but also try to enforce them on others to keeping the organization running smoothly. ISTJ thereby bring a lot of stability and structurize the projects to ensure the job gets done on time. As a boss, ISTJs would hate to bend the rules for others and would even openly reprimand anyone who deviates from the rules and regulations at the workplace.
ISTJs have a wide range of career opportunities. Generally, ISTJs are good in career paths mentioned below.
- Military Services
- Property Manager
- College Professor
- Computer Programmer
- Business Analyst
- Financial Officer
- Operations Manager
ISTJs are logisticians, very determined to do what they really want to do. You cannot doubt their reliability and results. They always find a practical approach and try to put facts in every situation.