All the diet plans work on the fundamental principle of energy balance. To gain weight and muscles calorie surplus is required. Deficit in calorie intake helps in losing fat. For endomorphs the balance is especially difficult to maintain if they want to bulk up to look muscular and lose the access fat at the same time. Naturally slow body metabolism, low tolerance for high-carbohydrate food and high insulin sensitivity means endomorphs have to concentrate more on keeping the fat away from lower regions of the body (stomach, hips, and thighs) than building muscles. They are not always overweight but have an inclination towards being obese. Stereotypical endomorphs can easily gain weight if they don’t exercise (cardio) and have proper diet plan.
Find out your body Type- Are You Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph?
Insulin Activity Check for Endomorphs-
Good Insulin Activity- If after consuming a high carb meal you feel ‘full’ with stable energy levels and mental alertness.
Bad Insulin Activity- If after consuming a high carb meal you feel bloated, drowsy and have difficulty focusing with low level of mental nimbleness. You might also feel hungry soon after the meal.
If you can identify the bad insulin activity, you should modify your diet plan and re-think the amount and types of carb included in your meal. If you have good insulin activity after the meal, carry on with your current diet plan.
Top 10 Dieting tips for Endomorphs-
1) Creatine is good if you carry out intense workout or cardio. Creatine supplement is an effective fat burner can help you get leaner faster. It will help you build strength and lean muscle mass. Foods rich in creatine include pork, salmon, tuna, and beef.
2) Protein is essential to build lean muscle. Regular intake of protein makes body metabolically active and brings you one step closer to your weight-loss goals. Proteins are hard to digest compared to carbs and therefore release less calories.
3) By eating more frequently you can reduce the amount of carbs equal to or less than 50 grams of carbs per meal. You can increase the fat intake to meet the caloric needs. Increase carbs if progress stalls Lower-glycemic carbs are best for endomorphs. Avoid sugary or starchy carbs all-together which can abruptly increase your blood sugars and insulin levels. When it comes to carbohydrates consider low-carb diet of grains, oatmeal, brown rice and fruits complimented by a high protein, vegetables, fruits and fiber intake. Stay away from white bread and rice.
4) It is counterintuitive but eating healthy fat in proper quantity will help you become skinny. Include 1/3 portion of monounsaturated fats (nuts and nut butter, olive oil, avocado), 1/3 portion of polyunsaturated fats (fish, fish oil, flax seeds) and 1/3 portion of saturated fats (egg, meats, animal fat, butter, and coconut oil), in your diet. 40 % of your calories should come from fat. Include least one serving of fats such as coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, etc. with each meal.
5) Fish oil is highly recommended. Fish oil has positive effect on insulin sensitivity. It’s anti-inflammatory properties help you stay active and is good for cell membrane health. It increases the neurotransmitter serotonin levels which make your mood better, reduce stress. Fish oil also helps fight diabetes, coronary heart disease, hypertension and chronic fatigue syndrome. If you are above 25% body fat you can take 5g fish oil each at morning and night.
6) Adding fibers to your diet is absolutely necessary. It helps control the hunger, bowel movements and digestion. To prevent gastro-intenstinal discomfort gradually increases your fiber intake. You can include 5 grams of fiber in your daily diet and increase the quantity gradually every week by 5 grams to reach 30 grams daily level.
7) Vegetables not only have vitamins and minerals but they are also rich in phytonutrients that are powerful anti-oxidants and balance our body’s pH level. Vegetables stimulate enzymes that help our body fight disease. Include vegetables and fruits in your diet for strong and lean body. They can also help reduce constant feeling of hunger.
8) To increase the body metabolism endomorphs need to divide their daily calorie consumption into 5-6 smaller meals instead of 2 or 3 heavy meals. You can eat a nutritious meal every 3-4 hours to boosts up your metabolic response to gain a good shape and fit body.
9) Get yourself metabolism boosters like caffeine and performance boosters like BCAAs for high-intensity workouts. Green tea and spinach juice can also help burn the fat. Avoid sports drinks which are full of carbs instead drink plenty of water or healthy multivitamin drinks.
10) Processed and fast foods are no go for endomorphs. Junk and fried foods need to be avoided at all costs.
Ideal calories intake ratio for endomorphs-
Diet Plan for Endomorphs-
Breakfast – Egg whites/ omelette and vegetables/ fruit (1 Apple)
Midmorning Snack – Greek yogurt (contains more protein than regular yogurt) with strawberries
Lunch –grilled chicken breast or turkey + Whole grain pasta
Evening Snack – 1 pear + handful of almonds/nut and a post workout Creatine/ protein shake
Dinner – Brown rice + stir-fried vegetables and beef
Research also suggests that endomorphs are prone to high levels of stress and have lower ability to handle stress due to increase in levels of hormone cortisol. Get good sleep and avoid pushing yourself to the edge to minimize the stress. With proper dietary control and regular workout plan which includes weightlifting with HIIT (high intensity interval training) you can gain the perfect shape and fit body.